Overdraft Service for your ATM/Debit Card
It can happen to anyone. An oversight or small budget error can result in an unexpected shortage of funds. Overdraft services from First Bank of Tennessee can cover transactions that exceed the available balance in your checking account, give you peace of mind and eliminate the inconvenience and potential embarrassment resulting from a rejected check, check card or ATM transaction.
What is an Overdraft?
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it for you.
Your Right to Request Overdraft Service
We will not pay your overdrafts for ATM withdrawals and Debit Card purchases you make at a store, online, or by telephone, unless you tell us you want overdraft service for these transactions. Even if you do not request overdraft service for ATM withdrawals and Debit Card purchases, we may still pay your overdrafts for other types of transactions, including checks.
What Overdraft Services are Available?
- Our standard overdraft service is available 30 days after you open a checking account. As a courtesy to our customers, we can give you a $300 overdraft limit on your account for checks after your account has been opened for 30 days and you have had $300 deposited in this account throughout those 30 days. Account has to maintain a positive balance with no overdraft or return items. This service covers checks and pre-authorized payments. It does not cover ATM withdrawals or everyday Debit Card transactions.
- You may also enroll for overdraft service for your ATM and everyday Debit Card transactions if you qualify for our standard overdraft service. If you request this service, we will also pay your ATM and everyday Debit Card transactions.
How does it work?
- Not Enrolled – If you do not enroll, we will decline any ATM or Debit Card transactions that would overdraw your account when you do not have the necessary Available Balance.
- Enrolled – If you enroll to have ATM/Debit Card Overdraft Service, we may approve and pay at our discretion* ATM withdrawals and Debit Card purchases that would overdraw your account, so you can complete the transaction. *At our discretion means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay your ATM and Debit Card transaction overdrafts. If we decide to authorize and pay an overdraft you will be charged the fees as described below.
- You will be assessed a $32 fee for each transaction paid into overdraft.
- A maximum of six (6) overdraft fees may be charged per day.
- Your account will be closed if negative balances are not brought into the positive within 60 days.
- Items will not be paid if you have reached or exceeded your overdraft limit.
How can I enroll for Overdraft Service for my ATM and Debit Card Transactions?
- You may enroll at any branch location
- Call us at 423-365-8400
- Write us at First Bank of Tennessee, PO Box 99, Spring City TN 37381
Alternate Service To Cover Your Overdrafts
First Bank of Tennessee also offers an Automatic Transfer Service (ATS) which allows you to connect a savings account to your checking account, for an automatic transfer of funds from your savings account to maintain a positive balance in your checking account. This service has a fee of $5 as of 2/1/2016 for each automatic transfer. Contact us to learn more about these options.